Picking Out Your Boudoir Session Outfits
Trying to figure out what to wear at your boudoir session? We’ve got a few tips to help you out:
- Wear what makes you feel sexy. Boudoir sessions are all about bringing your sexy side, so if you put something on and you feel uncomfortable, move on to the next option. Consider it sort of like searching for the perfect wedding dress. When you put it on and can’t help but spin in front of the mirror or think, “Heck yes, I’m sexy!” then that is the piece you should wear on shoot day.
- Consider what he likes, too. Maybe he loves you in the color red, or he still talks about that baby doll number you wore a couple years ago. If he’s into sports or a certain hobby, play into that, as well.
- Opt for lingerie that flatters your favorite parts. Choose a piece that accentuates whatever features you love most about yourself.
- Footwear matters, too. It’s so easy to go into a less-than-classy vibe depending on your footwear. Our suggestion: keep it simple. Patterns, baubles, bells, whistles, and more than three inches of heel can all lean “too much.” Instead, opt for shoes that scream “sexy sophistication.” FYI: Heels can also do a lady good when it comes to posture and accentuating muscles in her legs.
Avoid these Boudoir Faux Pas During your Session
Bad Tan Lines/Sunburn – If you have not been tanning recently, don’t tan just before your session. You can get sunburn or really bad tan lines, which are not flattering in photos. Also avoid spray tans at all cost, as they tend to photograph poorly.
Choosing the wrong sized outfits – Choose lingerie that is just the right size for you. You don’t want loose lingerie that gives your body no shape or hides your beautiful curves. On the other hand, lingerie that is too tight can be unflattering.
Wrinkled Clothing – Make sure your outfits are pressed and neat when you come to your session!
Forgetting to shave/wax – Always remember to shave or wax any exposed area that needs to looks smooth and sexy. The ‘au naturel’ look is so ‘70s. Unless you’re going for that vibe, please remember this tip.
Frequently Asked Questions about Boudoir Photography
I’m really nervous. Is that normal?
It is definitely normal to be nervous for your boudoir session, so don’t worry. Most of our clients are nervous until the session has gone on for a few minutes. After it starts, you’ll begin to loosen up.
How do I know how to pose?
Don’t worry about posing. We’ve totally got you covered in that department. We know all the tricks to create the most flattering angles for you, no matter what shape or size you are.
Do your packages include hair and makeup?
We do offer packages with hair and makeup by a professional MUA. See our full list of session packages here for pricing. Our studio sessions generally include makeup for boudoir sessions. On-Location sessions you must provide your own make-up/hair. Use a stylist that has done make-up for photography before if possible. Don’t expect regular street make-up to look as good as a makeover for photography.
Am I allowed to bring alcohol to help loosen my nerves?
As long as you’re over 21, that’s totally fine with us. You must bring a person to drive and be present in the studio if you choose to bring alcohol.
Do you provide the wardrobe?
We do not provide your wardrobe. This is something you’ll have to pick out and bring along yourself. If you need help choosing an outfit, we can definitely give you some suggestions, though.
I want share these pictures with my partner, but I don’t want loose prints floating around. Any ideas for the best gift?
This is a very common concern and we totally understand. We recommend placing an order for our Bombshell Album. This is much more discreet and will keep all of your images in one place and not floating around. We also offer folios and accordion albums as well. For more information on these products, just ask.
What should I bring to my boudoir session?
For our sessions, we suggest two to three different outfits and any props you may want to incorporate. You may bring more outfits and we will help choose the best three if you are unsure.
Can I bring a friend?
We encourage you to bring a friend if you think it will help you relax. However, sometimes an extra set of eyes has the opposite effect, even if it is a friend. They are more than welcome to come, but if they are making you uncomfortable, they may have to wait out in the lobby.
Will my session be with a male or female photographer?
Kurt is the owner and photographer at Studio One so you will have a male photographer. Kurt is a PPA Master Photographer with 35 years of experience and many awards. He knows that your comfort in the session is key and encourages you to communicate with him if you are uncomfortable in any way.
Do you do touchups?
Yes, we will smooth skin and do some basic retouching on all of your portraits. Additional retouching is available for an extra fee if desired.
I’m not a model – are boudoir photos still flattering even if my body isn’t perfect?
How to incorporate your partner’s interests in your boudoir session
Need help planning your boudoir session? We’re here to help with these tips on incorporating your partner’s interests for a truly personalized photo shoot:
Sports – This is a popular one. If your man loves sports, bring some sports gear with you. For example, you could wear a jersey from his favorite team/player, or bring a ball, mitt, club, bat, etc.
Occupation – If your guy loves his job, try to incorporate that in your session. If he’s in the military, think dog tags, uniform, etc. If he’s a doctor, try a nurse outfit or lab coat. If he’s a firefighter – borrow his helmet and boots. There are so many options here. Some careers are more difficult to incorporate creatively, but we can even make an office job work. You can totally rock the button down shirt, tie, and briefcase. If you need help, give us a call or send us an email and we can help come up with something.
What does he love about you – Think about the things he loves – his favorite part of your body, traits you have that he adores. Maybe he loves your sassiness or playful personality, or how you are shy, sweet, etc. We’ll want to feature these attributes in your session. Does he love it when you walk around in his clothes? Bring some along for an added personal touch.
Fantasy – Does your partner have a fantasy? Surprise him by dressing up for your session. If he’s a big Star Wars fan and always wanted you to wear a gold bikini like Princess Leia, now would be a good time to break out that costume for some sexy sci-fi photos.
Hobbies – What does he like to do for fun? Does he play guitar, read comic books, paint? Bring along items from his hobbies. Is he a country boy? Bring a cowboy hat and boots. Does he enjoy carpentry? Bring his construction hat and tool belt along.
If you need help coming up with a theme for your session to incorporation your partner’s interests, contact us and we will brainstorm with you.
Curvy Boudoir Photos
Most clients are uneasy when it comes to their body image and, as a result, their boudoir session. Very rarely do we have someone who is completely comfortable in her body. We especially get a lot of questions from women who are plus sized, inquiring about how their session will work.
We’re here to answer your questions. And FYI, plus-sized boudoir sessions work the same as any other boudoir session! We are here to make you look and feel sexy no matter your size. Be proud of your curves!
If you need help picking out flattering clothing options, we can help with that. Once you get here, relax and let us be in charge of posing you to make you look your best. Different body types require different types of poses to accentuate your best features. It’s our job to know the right angles and poses to help you to look your best. Let us know which of your body parts you love and which ones you don’t love so much
5 tips on how to relax in front of the camera
Are you nervous about your boudoir session? Here are some tips to help you relax during your shoot:
- Play Music – Bring your favorite music to play during your session. This will help you to calm down and feel comfortable.
- Deep Breathing – Practice deep breathing. This is a proven relaxation method. Breathe in deeply through your nose and exhale through your nose. Repeat until you feel better.
- Take a Break – If you’re feeling overwhelmed, we can take a break from shooting and talk and relax before resuming the session.
- Drink – Not to get drunk, but just enough to help you cut loose. Feeling a little buzzed will help tremendously but make sure you have a friend there to drive. In order to consume alcohol you must have a friend with to drive after your session is finished.
- Laugh It Off – If you’re feeling silly in front of the camera, laugh at yourself. Laughter is a great relaxation technique. It will help you loosen up.
Preparing for your boudoir session
Choose your Wardrobe – Lingerie is great, but you don’t have wear it if you don’t want to. A button down shirt, sports jersey, oversized sweater, or tight shirt and booty shorts are great alternatives. Be sure to try on your outfit(s) prior to your session to ensure everything fits properly.
Don’t Forget Accessories – Make sure you think about jewelry, shoes, props, etc. Pack anything you need to get it ready for your session. For props, we suggest bringing personal items that are significant to your partner – sports gear, dog tags, lab coat, etc.
Hair and Makeup – Our studio sessions include makeup. You may have your hair styled however we need to make sure there is enough time scheduled to do this. Hairstyling is at your own expense so make sure you bring payment for the cosmetologist.
For location sessions we highly recommend using a makeup artist. If you need suggestions on who we like to work with, please contact us. A MUA will make sure that you look flawless and ready for your close up.
Choose a Location – We can help you with this if you don’t already have a location in mind. We tend to do these sessions at hotels, in studio, or at a private outdoor location of your choosing.
Exposure – Talk to us prior to the session let us know what you are comfortable with and how exposed, or unexposed, you want to be during your session. Everyone has a different comfort level, and we like to be aware and informed of your expectations prior to your session so there are no awkward moments.
Pre-Session Beauty Prep – We suggest getting a mani/pedi a few days prior to your session. If you wax, don’t forget to pencil that into your schedule, as well. If you want to have a base tan for your photos, we recommend beginning to tan a few weeks prior to your session to avoid burning – and remember to think about your outfit and avoid any tan lines that will look bad in photos. We suggest staying away from spray tans. Don’t forget to get your eyebrows shaped before your session.
A few days before your session, lower your salt intake to avoid bloating and also eat a light breakfast the morning of. Drink a lot of water leading up to your session for beautiful, healthy skin and get a good night’s rest the night before. Shave and moisturize for beautiful legs. Wear a clear deodorant. Don’t wear tight clothing, bras, panties, socks, etc. the morning of your session or driving to your session. These will leave red marks on your skin and we want you looking your best.
Relax – The most important thing you can do is relax. We will make sure you look amazing in your photos, so don’t worry! If you’re uncomfortable, it will show, so just keep calm.
The perfect Valentine’s Day present for your partner
Valentine’s Day is almost here and we are running a special on boudoir photo gifts! Check out these great deals below:
- Bombshell Albums– This is our most popular boudoir gift. It is sexy and elegant and the perfect gift for him (trust us)! This comes as an 8×8 album and has 20 pages and is on sale for $100 off for Valentines Day for just $399!
- Calendars – During our Valentine sale, we are offering all wall calendars for only $59 a piece! He’ll enjoy your photos year-round with this fun gift!
- Wallets – All wallets are on sale for just $25 for a set of eight wallets!
- Cards & Stationary – These are perfect if your partner is in the military or away on business a lot. Write him a card or note on your personalized boudoir stationary. Spray a little perfume on it for an added touch. He’ll go crazy for you! Contact us for pricing for different sizes and quantities.
- Canvases – Surprise your partner with a beautiful fine art canvas from your boudoir session! Contact us for pricing for different sizes.